Friday, May 21, 2010

Essay Writing: Challenges and Conquests

Essays. The first thing that pops into my mind is I'd rather just read the book and answer some questions than try to tackle a five paragraph essay. I've usually been the type of person who has been able to whip out a pretty decent essay, but Honors English has definitely highlighted some of my writing flaws. So, with all the essays we've done and discussion in class I think I have improved my writing. Literary analysis is a deeper look into the book or play: why did the author use this, and what was the cause and affect? How did the certain device or motif show an overall theme? My main problem with essays is I always know what to say in my mind: as I am writing, tons of facts and commentary flood into my head, so I always have problems trying to word things (and not awkwardly at that) and I usually take a while to get into the flow of writing.
Thank goodness we have the weekend to work on our essay! I did try hard on it, but at this point in time I'm guessing my essay would fall into the B range. My hook is kind of weak and generic, and my thesis is pretty broad. I have 4 or 5 quotes, and probably not enough commentary to back them up. Also, I need to double check again for common grammar errors. I'm always very cautious when turning in my work, so i'll probably change quite a bit before turning it in. For now, I think my main focus is working on solid concrete details that relate back to my thesis. Here goes another essay!

1 comment:

  1. Most of my flaws are similar to yours. I feel that as I write info is rushing to get written down, but I have to take time to organize it and turn it into something good.

    ReplyDelete